As your business grows, one of the biggest pain points can be managing the time of your staff and making sure they’re productive. When you can no longer manually schedule their time and assign work, what options are available?
There are many rostering software programs on the market that can automate the scheduling process, but you also need to ensure the software integrates seamlessly with your accounting software to avoid more manual processes (and potential human error). In this article we’ll discuss the key principles of rostering to help your small business, and cover the many features of Quickbooks Time Tracking software, especially when used with Quickbooks Online accounting software.
How to roster staff effectively: key principles
Are you rostering correctly? Is the way you roster benefitting your business and your staff?
Here are eight key rostering principles and concepts to consider when preparing your next rosters:
- Deliver the service: Rosters must be created with the customer in mind, and must ensure that there are enough staff with the necessary skills and experience to meet demand.
- Sufficient and skilled staff: Consider the skills and experience of current staff, as well as the needs of the business.
- Regulations and policies: Ensure that rosters are fair and equitable, and that staff are not discriminated against on the basis of their race, gender, religion, or other protected characteristics. For more information, check the relevant regulatory frameworks in your State/Territory, as well as Federal anti-discrimination laws and workplace health and safety legislation.
- Fairness and equity: Ensure that staff are not over- or under-worked, and that they have the opportunity to take breaks and holidays.
- Supervision, training and handover: Ensure that staff have the opportunity to learn new skills and receive regular supervision, and that there is a smooth handover of duties when staff are absent.
- Governance: Have a clear process for creating and approving rosters, and for monitoring and reporting on rostering performance.
- Co-operation: Rostering managers should consult with staff when creating rosters, and staff should be willing to work flexibly to meet the needs of the business.
- Communication: Ensure that staff are aware of the regulations and internal policies that apply to your business’s rostering.
Now that you’re aware of the key principles of effective rostering, let’s discuss how rostering software can speed up the scheduling process, potentially saving you time and money.
Benefits of automating staff scheduling with rostering software
- Employee rostering software can automate the scheduling process, reducing the time managers need to spend creating and managing rosters, therefore potentially saving your business time and money.
- Rostering software also minimises the risk of ‘human error’. When done manually, rosters may include availability conflicts or fail to take into account labour laws and pay regulations. Good rostering software will automatically take care of these factors, reducing the risk of issues arising.
- Modern rostering software will also provide a mobile app version that can be viewed by employees in real-time, allow employees to request shift changes, and let them raise issues with the roster quickly and easily through the app. As well as saving time and ensuring everyone is looking at the most up-to-date version of the roster, this can empower employees and increase engagement and productivity.
There are many rostering software options on the market. So how do you choose the best one for your business? In this article we’re going to focus on the features and benefits of Quickbooks Time Tracking software.
Quickbooks Time offers a wide range of features, is easy to use, and the different pricing plans make it affordable for most businesses. Quickbooks Time not only integrates seamlessly with Quickbooks Online accounting software, it also works well with other popular accounting programs, such as Xero and MYOB.
Need help choosing the best rostering software to work with your accounting processes? We are experts in Quickbooks bookkeeping and all the popular accounting software programs available in Australia. Contact us on 1300 728 875 or send us a message to discuss your needs.
Quickbooks Time Tracking Software
QuickBooks Time is a time tracking and scheduling software that, as you would expect, integrates seamlessly with QuickBooks Online accounting software. This seamless integration makes it quick and easy to create schedules, track actual time employees worked and also manage payroll.
Formerly known as TSheets, Quickbooks Time has many features, including accurate-to-the-second timesheets and it is customisable, giving you the ability to use fields you are familiar with if you already know the Quickbooks Online interface.
Here are some of the reasons why QuickBooks Time is the best time tracking and rostering software to use with QuickBooks Online:
- Automatic syncing: Data is automatically synced with QuickBooks Online so you can easily view employee hours worked, generate invoices, and run payroll.
- Mobile: QuickBooks Time has a mobile app that allows employees to view their schedules and easily keep track of their time from anywhere. This is a great feature for businesses with employees who work remotely or on the go.
- GPS tracking: QuickBooks Time offers GPS tracking, allowing you to track employees’ real-time location and actual hours worked, including travel time. GPS tracking provides certainty at any time that staff are where they are meant to be.
- Overtime alerts: QuickBooks Time can send alerts to employees and managers when overtime limits are close to being reached. This can prevent employees from exceeding overtime allowances and help your business to comply with labour laws.
- Reporting: QuickBooks Time offers a variety of reports that can help you track employee productivity, identify areas where you can improve efficiency, and guide you to make informed decisions about your business.
Other features of Quickbooks Time
- Easy to use: QuickBooks Time is easy to use, even for businesses with complex scheduling needs. The user-friendly interface makes it easy to create and manage schedules, track employee hours, and run payroll.
- Affordable: QuickBooks Time is an affordable option for businesses of all sizes. There are a variety of pricing plans to choose from, so you can find a plan that fits your budget.
- Flexible: QuickBooks Time is flexible enough to meet the needs of businesses of all sizes, from small businesses with a few employees to large enterprises with hundreds or even thousands of employees.
- Scalable: QuickBooks Time is scalable, so you can easily add or remove employees as your business grows.
Overall, QuickBooks Time is a comprehensive and powerful time tracking and scheduling software that can help streamline your business processes, increase productivity, and potentially improve your bottom line.
Still unsure about the best rostering software for your business? We have helped thousands of small businesses across Australia to setup and automate their rostering and accounting software. Contact us on 1300 728 875 or send us a message to discuss your needs.