As a business owner, you know that time is money. And when it comes to managing your projects, you need a tool that can help you save both. That’s where Xero Projects comes in. Xero Projects is a project management add-on for Xero accounting software that can help you track time, expenses, and tasks against projects. It also allows you to create quotes and invoices, so you can get paid faster.
But is it worth the extra cost? In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Xero Projects and compare it to some of the other project management tools on the market. We’ll also discuss the benefits of using Xero Projects for businesses of all sizes.
What is Xero Projects?
Xero Projects is a cloud-based project management tool that integrates with Xero accounting software. It allows you to track time, expenses, and tasks against projects, as well as create quotes and invoices.
The program has a number of features that can help businesses manage their projects more effectively, including:
- Time tracking
- Task management
What does it do?
Xero Projects is like a personal assistant for your projects, helping you stay organised, on track, and on budget. For example, it can help businesses to:
- Plan and schedule projects more effectively
- Track time and expenses more accurately
- Manage tasks more efficiently
- Create and send invoices more quickly
- Generate reports to track project profitability.
How much does it cost?
Xero Projects is available as an add-on to Xero accounting software. The cost will depend on the number of active users in your organisation. For businesses with 1-5 active users, Xero Projects costs $15 per month. For businesses with 6-10 active users, the cost is $25 per month. And for businesses with 11 or more active users, they’ll pay $35 per month.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to set up Xero Projects:
- Sign up for a Xero account. If you don’t already have a Xero account, you can sign up for a free trial.
- Add the Xero Projects add-on. Once you have a Xero account, you can add the Xero Projects add-on.
- Create a project. Once you have the add-on, you can create a project.
- Add tasks to your project. Once you have created a project, you can add tasks to your project.
- Assign tasks to team members. You can assign tasks to team members so that everyone knows what they need to do.
- Track progress. You can track the progress of your projects so that you know how you are doing.
- Generate reports. You can generate reports on your projects so that you can track your progress and identify areas where you can improve.
Need a hand getting started? Our team of bookkeepers are Xero bookkeeping experts. If you need assistance setting up Xero Projects or would like to discuss the best option for your business, contact us on 1300 728 875 or send us a message.
Time tracking and invoicing in Xero Projects
Xero Projects allows you to track time and expenses against projects. This information can then be used to create invoices for your customers.
To track your time, simply click on the “Time” tab and enter the time that you have worked on a project. You can also enter the time that you have spent on tasks within a project.
To track expenses, simply click on the “Expenses” tab and enter the expenses that you have incurred on a project. You can also enter the expenses that you have incurred on tasks within a project.
Once you have tracked your time and expenses, you can create an invoice for your customer. To do this, simply click on the “Invoices” tab and select the project that you want to invoice. Xero will then automatically generate an invoice for you.
Alternative project management tools
There are a number of alternatives to Xero Projects, but for now we’ll just focus on the more popular project management software solutions designed for the trades and service industries, Tradify and ServiceM8, and see how they compare.
- Tradify is a cloud-based project management software specifically designed for tradespeople. It offers features such as job scheduling, quoting, invoicing, and customer relationship management (CRM). Tradify is a good choice for tradies who need a project management solution that is easy to use and affordable.
- Servicem8 is a project management software for businesses in the service industry. It offers features such as scheduling, time tracking, invoicing, and CRM. Servicem8 is a good choice for businesses that need a project management solution that is specifically designed for the service industry.
Xero Projects vs Tradify vs ServiceM8
Comparison of features
|Price||Starts at $15/month||Starts at $14/month||Starts at $29/month|
|Inclusions||Time tracking, task management, invoicing, reporting||Job scheduling, quoting, invoicing, CRM||Scheduling, time tracking, invoicing, CRM|
|Integrations||Xero||Xero, Google Drive, Dropbox||Xero, Google Calendar, Quickbooks|
|Customer Support||Phone, email||Phone, email, chat||Phone, email, chat|
Ultimately, the best project management software for you will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you are looking for a solution that is specifically designed for tradies, then Tradify or ServiceM8 may be a good choice. If you are already using Xero accounting software, then Xero Projects may be a good option.
Consider your specific needs and requirements, as well as the features and pricing of the different tools. Once you have done your research, you will be able to choose the best project management tool for your business.
Still not sure? Get in touch with our team at Darcy Bookkeeping. We are experts in the popular accounting software options available in Australia and can help you get setup. Contact us on 1300 728 875 or send us a message.